If you choose to fry your turkey this year with a turkey fryer, REStar Services would like to remind you of some helpful tips for avoiding accidental fires when using a turkey fryer:
- Place the fryer on a level surface
- Don’t overfill the fryer with too much oil
- Peanut oil is a safer oil than other oils to use for frying
- Wear shoes!
- Use a very long thermometer to take the bird’s temperature
- Be careful when lowering the turkey into the hot oil
- Have a dry-chemical fire extinguisher handy while cooking
If you DO have a turkey fryer fire:
- Call 911 before putting the fire out or have someone calling 911 while you’re dealing with the fire.
- Don’t try to move the fryer once it’s caught on fire. It’ll just cause the oil to splash, spatter and spill.
- Do not use water! Oil fires do NOT react well with water.
- If you have one, try to smother the fire with a pan lid
- Use baking soda or a dry-chemical fire-extinguisher to put out the fire
Fry responsibly and have a Happy Thanksgiving!
If you have Fire Damage, call the Fire Damage Restoration Experts at REStar Services: (844) RESTAR-1. Our regular office hours are 8:30am - 5:30pm Monday through Friday. Visit us: http://www.REStarServices.com